A BIT OF HISTORY: "...Clip Board Holds Range Map - Page 31 - Naval Aviation News - July 1948..." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1940s/1948/jul48.pdf [11JUL2004]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...Stud Removal Jig Developed - Page 32 - Naval Aviation News - September 1948..." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1940s/1948/sep48.pdf [08JUL2004]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...NATS Packet - Naval Air Transport Service Command - Pacific Fleet - Sptember 1945. VR-1 photo 5, VR-2 photo's 12, 14, 15 and 16, VR-3 photo 12, VR-4 photo's 8, 9, 12, 13 and 14, VR-5 photo's 9, 13 and 14, VR-6 photo 5, VR-11 photo's 9, 14 and 15, and VR-13 photo's 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 16 and 18..." Contributed by COX, Douglas C. COXMARINEINS@AOL.COM [26FEB2005]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...NATS Packet - Naval Air Transport Service Command - Pacific Fleet - July 1945..A few squadrons mentioned include: VR-2 Page 7, 10, 12, 14 and 15, VR-3 Page 14, VR-4 Page 7, 8 and 14, VR-5 Page 7, VR-11 Page 1 and 2 and VR-13 Page 7..." [06FEB2005]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...Treatment Releases Slip Joints - Naval Aviation News - October 1945.." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1940s/1945/15oct45.pdf [10NOV2004]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...Success in battle depends heavily on adequate logistic support which many times provides the thin thread on which hangs the victory. Throughout its history, NAS Moffett Field, California has been home for one or more of these all-important air logistics units. Dating back to 1945 with the arrival of Transport Squadron Four (VR-4) and Naval Air Transport Service (NATS) headquarters, such squadrons as Transport Squadron Forty-four (VR-44), Transport Squadron Five (VR-5) and Transport Squadron Three (VR-3) have played an important role as one of NAS Moffett Field, California's tenant units. R4Ds (DC-3s), R5D (DC-5s) and R6D (DC-6s) were familiar sights in Bay Area skies. With the decommissioning of Fleet Logistic Air Wings in the summer of 1957, two Military Air Transport Squadrons, VR-7 and VR-8, began the move from their Hawaiian base to NAS Moffett Field, California. Flying the sleek R7V Super Constellation, these squadrons operate from here to the far reaches of the Pacific to provide a supply line of men and equipment to the Pacific Fleet..." http://www.moffettfieldmuseum.org/history/postwar/fleet-units.html [17JAN2004]
A BIT OF HISTORY: NAAS Crows Landing "...Historic California Posts - Naval Auxilary Air Station, Crows Landing - History..." WebSite: The California State Military Museum http://www.militarymuseum.org/NAASCrowsLanding.html [06NOV2005]History
Photograph: Title: Crows Landing - Image Number: A92-0471-4 - Date: 1992 - Keywords: aerial - Crows Landing - historical - Description: Aerial photo, NAAS Crows Landing; Photographer: US Navy; Date: August 5, 1947 WebSite: http://ails.arc.nasa.gov/Images/Historical/A92-0471-4.html
NAAS Crows Landing, located 2-1/2 miles northwest of the town of the same name, began in late 1942 as an auxiliary air station to NAS Alameda, California. It was used to train Navy fighter pilots. Pilots of F4F Wildcats, TBF and TBM Avengers trained here first in Link and Panoramic trainers then eventually in actual planes. Later, pilots in R4D Skytrains and R5D Skymasters (Navy versions of the Army's C-47 and C-54) trained here. After the war the station was placed in caretaker status.
by M.L. Shettle, Jr.
Historical works by M. L. Shettle, Jr.
In late 1942, the Navy chose a site in the San Joaquin Valley, 71 miles southeast of Alameda, for an auxiliary air station. An 804-acre parcel of land was purchased for $86,708 and ground broken on December 1, 1942. The site was located near the agricultural community of Crows Landing, 1940 population of 363, that consisted of a gas station, country store, and a freight train stop. During con struction, the project was known as NAAF Patterson for the nearest post office, six miles to the north. After the Navy decided to include a post office on the station, the base commissioned on May 25, 1943, as NAAF Crows Landing.
On June 18, 1943, VC-36 became the first unit assigned. A detachment of Alameda's CASU 6 also arrived in support. For the next nine months, Crows Landing hosted various carrier units. These units included VC-65, and elements of CAG 28, CAG 18, and CAG 11. In the meantime, a detachment of CASU 37 replaced CASU 6 and Crows Landing was upgraded to an NAAS. Up to the spring of 1944, multi-engine patrol aircraft were based at NAAS Vernalis, 18 miles to the northwest. The Navy real ized that Crows Landing's 7,000-ft. concrete run ways would be better suited for the heavier weight multi-engine aircraft than Vernalis's asphalt run ways; thereafter, Vernalis was designated for carrier units and Crows Landing for multi-engine types.
In March 1944, the first multi-engine squadron, VPB-137 arrived from Alameda with PVs. From June to November, the station embarked on an expansion project that added housing, a hangar, and other improvements. The runways were widened from 150 to 200 ft. The station's ramp that initially was 200 x 400 ft. was enlarged by a 1200 x 200-ft. and a 1890 x 260-ft. section. In August 1944, the first PB4Y-2 Privateer squadron, VPB-118, arrived from NAAS Camp Kearny, California. In January 1945, Crows Landing added six enlisted barracks, a warehouse, and a 100-man ground training building. From February 2, to March 27, 1945, a VRE-1 Detach ment with 12 R4Ds was based at the station. VRE-1 was one of the Navy's three evacuation squadrons that transported wounded men from combat areas in the South Pacific to the various Naval Hospitals in the U.S. In addition, Oakland's VR-4 and VR-11 used Crows Landing for training throughout the sta tion's existence.
Crows Landing's isolated location prompted the Navy to run 10 liberty buses a day to Modesto and Patterson. Navy men were allowed to use the swim ming pool at Patterson High School. In June 1945, the station's complement stood at 27 officers and 185 men -- squadron personnel added an additional 245 officers and 1220 enlisted men. Available billeting accommodated 268 officers and 2116 men. Patrol squadrons that passed thought the station during the war included VPB-115, VPB-122, VPB-101, VPB-103, VPB-107, VPB-133, VPB-140, VPB-118, and VPB-108. The PV operational training squadron, VPB-198, also spent time aboard. Patrol squadrons were supported by PATSUs 8-2, 8-4, 8-5, and 8-7. Other units that operated and trained at Crows Landing were VJ-12 and ABATU 105. By war's end, the station was valued at $4 million.
Crows Landing decommissioned on July 6, 1946, becoming an OLF to NAS Alameda, California and later NAS Moffett Field, California. In recent years, the Navy maintained a perma nent detachment at the field that supplied crash equipment and refueling services for Naval aircraft from the stations in the area. With the closing of Moffett, the Navy turned Crows Landing over to NASA's Ames Research Center in 1993.
"VR-4 Summary Page"