A BIT OF HISTORY: "...Circa 1970...Patrol Squadron 50 was originally commissioned as VP-892, a reserve squadron home ported at Seattle. In September of 1950, at the outbreak of the Korean War, VP-892 was the first patrol squadron to be ordered to active duty. The Squadron was redesignated VP-50 in 1953. From 1960 until 1964, the Squadron was permanently stationed at the U. S. Marine Corps Air Facility at Iwakuni, Japan, after which their home port was changed to NAS North Island, San Diego, California. The Squadron operated seaplanes throughout its early history, being one of the last two ASW patrol squadrons to do so, finally ceasing seaplane operations in 1967 when they moved to NAS Moffett Field, California to transition to the P-3..." Contributed by Jan Hartman [23MAY2000]
"VP-892 History Summary Page"