USS St. George (AV-16) History
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...VPB-27's tender USS St. George (AV-16). Notice the PBM on the fantail for repair..." Contributed by Harold R. Magee via his "younger" brother Dave Magee firstname.lastname@example.org [30OCT2003]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...On 5 May 1945 a PBM picked up LT(jg) Leonard D. Welch (flying a FG-1D BUNO: 76630) and his wingman LT(jg) Owen Payne (flying a F4U-1D BUNO: 82824). Both pilots were assigned to Bombing Fighting Squadron EIGHTY-FIVE (VBF-85) and shot down while straffing an airfield on Kikai Jima, Japan. They were transported to the USS St. George (AV-16) which was hit by a Kamakazi while they were aboard. They were then transferred back to the USS Shangri-La (CV-38) to continue to finish their job...win WWII..." Contributed by Bryan Welch email@example.com [10JAN2011]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...Chimu Wan Base Terminal / Tengan Pier Okinawa, Japan - The seaplane base at Chimu Wan was established in July 1945 during the buildup of forces on Okinawa for the invasion of the Japanese home islands. On 14 July 1945, VPB-208 (PBM-5 Mariners) departed Kerama Rhetto for Chimu Wan, supported by USS Hamlin (AV-15). They were followed by VPB-26 (PBM-5 Mariners) on 15 July, VPB-22 (PBM-3D Mariners) on 16 August and VPB-205 (PBM-5 Mariners) 25 on August. USS St. George (AV-16) provided additional tender support. The last wartime operational flights for the squadrons were made from the location by VPB-208 and VPB-16 on 11 August 1945. The base was disestablished after it was destroyed by typhoons in September and October 1945..." WebSite: GlobalSecurity http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/tengan-pier.htm [27APR2005]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...05MAY45 Sat. United States naval vessels damaged, Okinawa area: Seaplane tender ST. GEORGE (AV-16), by suicide plane, 26 d. 10'N., 127 d. 19'E. Surveying ship PATHFINDER (AGS-1), by suicide plane, 26 d. 38'N., 127 d. 53'E..." http://www.rtcol.com/~weshortz/history/hist45vj.htm [06JAN2001]
A BIT OF HISTORY: "...St. George (AV-16)..." http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/auxil/av16.htm [03JAN2001]
St. George I (AV-16)
Displacement 12,000, Length 492', Beam 69'6", Draw 23'9", Speed 18.7 k, Complement 1,077, Armament 2 5", 12 40mm, 16 20mm, Class Kenneth Whiting
St. George (AV-16) was laid down on 4 August 1943 by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash., launched on 14 February 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Alfred E. Montgomery; and commissioned on 24 July 1944, Capt. Robert G. Armstrong in command.
After shakedown, St. George sailed from San Pedro Calif., on 12 October 1944 to salvage a seaplane which had crashed at sea. She was diverted to Pearl Harbor after word was received that the plane had sunk. After four days in Pearl Harbor, the ship sailed on 22 October to tend seaplanes in support of the Central Pacific drive. She stopped at Kwajalein between 29 October and 3 November, and then tended a squadron of aircraft at Eniwetok between 4 and 25 November. She moved frequently during the next four months, tending planes at Saipan between 28 November and 21 December; at Kossol Passage, Palau Is., from 24 December 1944 to 6 February 1945, at Ulithi between 7 and 25 February, and at Saipan again from 27 February to 23 March. On 28 March, she arrived at Kerama Retto, Ryukyus, to support aircraft in the Okinawa operation. During one of the frequent air raids there the ship's gunners shot down an enemy plane on 29 April. A week later, she was hit by a kamikaze. Three men were killed, and her seaplane crane was destroyed. Nevertheless, the tender remained on station, using a barge crane to lift seaplanes for repairs; and, in addition, provided repair support to destroyers and destroyer escorts. She left Kerama Retto on 12 July for drydocking and repairs at Guam, returning on 21 August to Okinawa, where she rode out a typhoon on 16 and 17 September. On 20 September, the tender sailed to Wakayama Wan, Japan, where her aircraft provided surveillance of the Japanese Inland Sea and supplied passenger, mail, and courier service between Tokyo, Sasebo, and Okinawa. While there, she rode out two more typhoons. The ship proceeded to Sasebo on 14 November and tended aircraft there from 16 November until starting home on 12 February 1946. She arrived at San Diego on 25 March 1946 and was decommissioned and placed in reserve there on 1 August 1946.
St. George was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1963 and simultaneously transferred to the Maritime Administration's reserve fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif. She was reacquired by the Navy on 11 December 1968 for sale to Italy as Andrea Bafile.
St. George received one battle star for her World War II service.
"USS St. George (AV-16) Summary Page"